Sunday, March 17, 2013

Oz's Girls

I recently watched Oz just this Thursday. It just got my head spinning because this isn't your normal wizard of Oz story. Of course, if you watched the movie, it was about the Wizard of Oz how he became the "great and powerful" by saving the entire kingdom from the black witch and her sister, the wicked witch of the west.

Well, I am writing this post not because of the entire movie, let me focus on the two faces of the girls around Oz's life. There's the wicked witch of the west, or Theodora as played by Mila Kunis and Glenda/Annie, Oz's love of his life as portrayed by Michelle Williams. Just so you know, James Blanco plays the main character, Oz.

Theodora, Oz and Glenda

Theodora was the first witch Oz met at Oz (yes, Oz was also the name of the place). She told him about the prophecy and she was kind to him. Oz being a playboy, made Theodora fall in love with him by using his old tricks on the other ladies he met. Theodora fell instantly on Oz's tricks. She knew he wasn't serious about his commitment when Oz left Emerald city and found Glinda whom he fell in love with. Heartbroken, she asked her sister to take away the pain and ate an apple that made her the evil and stone-hearted thus coined the wicked witch of the west. 

How Theodora looked like after eating the apple - yes, wicked witch of the west she became

Then there's Annie/Glinda, Annie was Oz's old flame. He couldn't keep her in his life because of the complications he may bring to her life. Annie always believed that there is goodness in Oz that Oz did not believe he had. Glinda, was the good witch he met at Oz, who looked like Annie. Glinda knew Oz's tendencies but still believed that he is the wizard that the prophecies dictate. She also believed in Oz's goodness as well. In the end, they ended up together and Oz (the place) became peaceful. 

Pretty Glinda

So why these two characters? It is because I see myself (feelingerang palaka hello?) on these two. When I fell in love, I was Glinda, I believed in the goodness of the person I fell in love with. I knew he was up to no good but hello me still believing that he's not that. I supported him and even if it's out of my way, I'd go to him in a jiffy if he asked me to. Well, it's just me, in love. 

I guess right now, I am the wicked witch of the west. But hey I am not as bitter as she is. Maybe before, I cried all the time, I could not believe this was happening to me, blah blah blah.. (You know the lines don't you?). But like the wicked witch, love has changed me. I became this person who just accepts. I guess it wasn't an ugly transformation though. All I can see now are the good things it has brought to me. I just hate the feeling though, like how Theodora cries and tears scars her face, it hurts. Big time. It's just enough not to make me fall in love again. 

Oh well, this is just me now. Maybe someday, I could be Glinda again but this time the real Oz will finally reciprocate the love I have. Some day it'll be eh? 


No comments:

Post a Comment